Tuesday, November 25, 2014

dat Thai Life

K̄ĥāw p̄hạd kai dao - Fried rice and egg.




































First off, this is the second time writing this, as my previous post did not upload for some reason.
Chaiyaphum has been a trip so far.  Although I have only been here a few weeks, it feels as if I have been here forever.  I am extremely happy I switched placement agencies and feel I am in a much better place in life because of it.
I have been working at Satri Chaiyaphum, teaching Matyumum 2, which is secondary, mostly girls school, at a level 2, equivalent to 8th grade in America.  I teach 20, 50 minute classes a week and also take part of English club as part of a farong (foreigner) requirement.

I teach different levels of M2 as well as IEP/Basic- grammar based classes (I have 2 classes with IEP of which I both see 5 times a week each) and ECD- listening and speaking based.  My students are most definitely a handful, but I do enjoy the challenge of teaching them.  I only see my ECD students once a week so it can be difficult to get lessons in with them, but I'm slowly getting the grove of this teaching thing.

My M2/1 class. "Teacha, Teacha, picta, picta!!"


Weekends have been filled with pop-up markets, wandering, and the night market-one of Chaiyaphum's most visited tourist attraction (according to Google).  Everything is pretty affordable- I especially enjoy the fact I can get a meal for 30 Baht, .90 cents.  Needless to say, I'm getting very well fed.  I haven't gone running yet, because it can be difficult with all the stray dogs chasing you and it's hot, but I'll get around to it.  There's even a free gym around here somewhere.  

This past weekend some of the English teachers in my building, Val, who works at the primary school down the street from mine, and Alison, who works at my school walked down the street to the second hand market –holy crap galore.  I managed to get 2 skirts and a blouse for a little under 100 Baht –about $3 USD, I love Thailand.


Second hand market galore! Myself, Val, and Alison-teachers weekend shopping trip




Sunday my friends Val, Sam, and I drove to Tattone Waterfalls, about 30 minutes away on the motorbike.  I was supposed to be following Sam and Val on Sam’s motorbike, (yes, I have a motorbike, it’s blue and pretty and matches my orange helmet.  Almost everyone here has a motorbike, you kind of need one to get around town and go anywhere.  I also found out I like driving motorbikes, who knew, because I always swore I'd never get one...) but Sam decided to drive like a bat out of Hell, so I lost them and got lost trying to get there.  2 hours and a beautiful drive later, I finally arrived, and just as soon slipped and fell on my butt on a flat, dry surface near the waterfall—In true Marissa fashion.  And yes, everyone saw.  As they say in Thailand, Mai Pen Rai- the Hakuna Matata of Thais, meaning no worries, or eh whatevs. 

We went on one of the nice last days for the waterfall before it dries up.  Although Tattone Waterfalls is no Multnomah Falls (Portland friends and loved ones, you will completely agree with me on this one), the drive and experience was just as beautiful.  

Val, Sam, and myself

Tadttone Waterfalls, Chaiyaphum




1 comment: