Sunday, November 2, 2014

Koh Samui and Tha Sala


Koh Samui has been a trip since day one. I forgot to add a couple things, so instea of editing my blog, I'm making a new one, deal. :)
 I forgot to add this photo, curiosity of Martin, from our taxi ride from the ferry to our first hostel. In the front is Cherry and Martin, followed by Siobhan, myself, Loo (our placement's son), with Illandra and Carl in the way back. We were so beat from our long trip from Bangkok, we slept the way there. I swear we do more than eat and sleep...maybe. 

After we all got settled in, we walked around and found the night market, even better, food. 

Again, I stole Martin's picture. 

I got pad thai and a coconut shake, but are we really surprised? My favorite dish!

Fast forward past the elephant ride, Big Boodah and our 5/6 day stay in Samui....


Koh Samui, an island of Thailand has some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen in my life. On our last day in Koh Samui, we soaked up the sun and bought coconuts from a super sweet lady walking up and down the beach with buckets of food. It was super hot, so we were one water the majority of the time before heading to Nakhon Si Thammarat the next day. We got a nice surprise, one of our friends from Bangkok decided to join us in Samui for a few days. 
Sonia and I (thanks Martin!) on the rooftop of our hotel on our last night. 


Districts of Nakhon Si Thammarat. We got off the ferry, got in a van and ended up in Tha Sala, wanting to get to Nakhon early, so we could get settled in before placement at our schools. 
While we are in a little bit of a rural area, it's not nearly as bad or too rural as some villages I've seen around vietnam, Cambodia, Mocronesia, even Hawaii. We have hot water and air conditioning in our hotel, so it's not bad at all. 
The only downside is, on our first day, we only found one restaurant, and no vegitarian ("jay" in thai) options. For the first time in 5 years, I ate a little crab. It upset my stomach, but when you're hungry, you eat. 
Dim Sum with egg scrambled with some crab on top of tofu. 
Afterwards, we walked around and a couple miles later, found a Tesco, pretty much a Walmart of the area. Yesterday, Martin and I found a shortcut which knocked a good couple miles off, lazy people life!! 

I found out I will be teaching in Sichon, a district right above where I am currently in, making it easy to get to my new destination. I'm starting on November 10th, so I'm anxiously awaiting my acommendations to be ready. Not sure yet what grade, guess I'll find out when I start, all part of the adventure! 

I leave y'all with an adorable picture of a butterfly that landed on my hand. 


1 comment:

  1. Hey lady! Congrats on surviving your first day of school! All of us at DCA are loving your updates (especially the pictures of the FOOD!) and can't wait for your next one. Seriously, if you had a travel show I would totally watch it :)
    Miss your face! -Babs

    ReplyDelete